Tuesday, January 24, 2017

...It's not a promotion...

You know how when you start a new job, most places will kind of ease you in with simple and repetitive tasks and then kind of build up your duties as you get comfortable with them? My job is the same way...📠

The first few weeks involved hand strain and getting really intimate with my desk scanner. Then I was asked to help put together some files for a client audit and while I really had no clue about the ins and outs of doing that, I still did what I could to the best of my ability - and then I stayed late with my boss to help her wrap that whole project up and got quite familiar with how frustrating it is when you realize past employees didn't do a very good job of keeping track of our contracted interpreter's files...

It genuinely makes me wish I'd been working here longer so they'd have better and cleaner records in their systems.

Now though, I've been assigned a task (as a matter of delegation of duties for a coworker who's out with a new baby) which makes me absolutely recoil with anxiety and stress. Phone work - and not just any phone work. Phone work where I have to set up appointments with prospective applicants, I also have to administer to them 100 term medical exams over the phone.

Just today I set up an OTME (Oral Medical Terminology Exam) with a Spanish speaking applicant for next week. Tomorrow I have to call a Hmong speaking applicant and a Somali applicant to set up times for them. Joy. But at least I've mastered the art of making an outgoing call on our multi-line phone system.

All this in addition to scanning in New and Not-Contracted files to the system, scheduling in bathroom breaks, and maintaining optimal caffeine levels. So it's picking up.

The good news in all this is that I get my second paycheck this Friday and it's looking pretty well padded. Woot!~ $$$


No comments:

Post a Comment