Thursday, July 21, 2016

Written on the Window....

Most of the windows in this house are covered in dust, from the inside AND the outside. That's why the words scribbled on the outside of our bedroom window were really obvious to me when I went to open it the other day.

Someone pretty tall (like our roommate) had used their finger to etch the words "F**K YOU" into the dirt on the glass. The sad thing is, this roommate and my partner used to be pretty good friends. Heck, he's the one that talked his stepmom into letting us live here in the first place.

But this guy has also gotten really weird and distant lately too. It doesn't help that my partner and I are always fighting and that makes tensions among all house residents high. It doesn't help that I still haven't found a job. It doesn't help that it's been ungodly hot here in MN and everyone's been uppity.

It definitely doesn't help that our landlord tries to find any infraction to kick us out. Using the kitchen too late at night? "I need to sleep, if you can't accommodate my schedule, live somewhere else!" Watching an episode of Fringe before going to bed after midnight? "Some people in this house work you know? Keep it down!" Hell, just having a conversation about my partner's work day. "If I had to come down again and tell you guys to be quiet...."

And here's the thing - we ARE being quiet. It's late when my partner gets home from work - usually 11 pm or so. And we know that most people are in bed at that hour, so we try to keep it down. It's not our fault the walls in this place are paper-thin and you can hear a whispered conversation a room over. It's not our fault the only time we have a chance to eat together is at night. But we try to be respectful about it and that's just not good enough for her.

Which is ridiculous because we're paying to be here.

But not for long.

I'm scouring Craigslist trying to find people renting out rooms on the cheap and hopefully near my partner's work. I found one that might be perfect - it's in St Paul, a 30 minute train ride to work in downtown, and the price is right. I even emailed the guy to check the place out - problem is, he's no longer responding to my messages and it's really stressful, because I need this to happen.

Ugh...

I'm just tired of things not working out.

2 comments:

  1. That landlord sounds awful! I hope you find another place soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're trying to. I just gotta keep looking.

      Delete