Saturday, December 6, 2014

OkCupid....now what?



After I broke up with Chris, I made an OKCupid profile. Probably a dumb idea considering I had taken a vow to remain single for(ever) a while. And I'm still upholding that...I've just met some people who are kind of fun.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/michaela_thecat

I genuinely thought I was gonna attract a plethora of creepers. I didn't.

Instead I met two nice guys who actually live in my hometown. I don't think I ever met any of them in person back during high school though, even though I graduated with one of them.

His name is Marcus and he's a fan of SciFi and Steampunk.

The other guy is actually my younger brother's age and is into anime, computers, and cats. Major nod to the "cats" part. But he's nice. And funny.

And there's this fellow from a distance away and he approached with the intent of "text wall racquet ball" - I gave him huge props for verbal creativity there. And so far we've had some pretty interesting discussions.

So here's my dilemma. I like all of these guys, pretty much equally. I'm not interested in dating at the moment and I will probably never be completely monogamous again - that just didn't work for me. But suppose I do want a little something "else" with one or all of them. Do I have to choose?

For those of you who have ventured into the frightening yet exciting realm of online dating, what have your experiences been?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what you should do in your situation (sorry!). But my partner and I met on a chat-room, almost six years ago and we're been together since. It was long distance (he lived on the other side of the country) for the first two years but if you're always planning your next meeting, or first, it holds things together much better.

    Also, meet in a public place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never ventured into the world of online dating so unfortunately, I have no advice to give you. I do agree with the above commenter that you should meet in a public place. I was curious and nosey so I looked at your profile. It is really cute. I chuckled at the part "I am really good at disappearing" because I do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technically I met my fella at a party but I got to know him through online messaging Considering he's an extreme extrovert, this really worked for both of us. And I went on blind dates, none of which were promising.

    Meet him in public; have friend(s) know where you'll be at all times; have a lifeline if one is a creeper (i.e. a way out/ oh no! An emergency came up!)

    Do you have to chose? Of course not! Just be honest, honest, honest... Especially with yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank everyone for the warning about meeting in a public space, but this isn't my first merry-go-round concerning meeting strangers from the web. I'm incredibly paranoid about people that I DO know knowing where I live, so I'm golden there. :)

    Your concern really feels nice though, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete