Monday, September 1, 2014

The Quest for Red

I'm a pale, auburn-haired little freak, so I've been told countless times that red lipstick simply isn't for me. Of course, never one to really follow the rules or take unnecessary advice, I set out to find the perfect red lipstick for me.


This began of course, by raiding my mom's meager stash of cosmetics because of course I'd never bothered to purchase a red gloss or any such thing. Being told I couldn't wear it and all. She had a few shades that were a little too "plum" or "magenta" for me and so those were out.



There was this one skinny green tube buried at the bottom of the drawer, and when I pulled it out to reveal a glossy red product, I was excited. Of course, I should have expected a glossier lip product to go on more sheer than anything, but it was a good start. I still use it from time to time.



I decided to keep looking though, and then I discovered the majesty that is e.l.f. and bought their pigmented red lip balm. This stuff has a minty smell to it (which I LOVE) and also goes on sheer, but it's very moisturizing and great for a lip balm.



Of course, e.l.f. also sells lip stains and so I got one of the pen tip ones in Crimson. What a disappointment. I could hardly get any product out of the pen and what did come out ended up patchy on my lips. No good.

Believe it or not, it was a random run to the Dollar Tree that saved me. I found this little black tube that simply read "rouge" and thought, what the heck?




It's red. It's bright red. And it's a velvety matte texture which is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The perk? It cost me $1. That's it.


(The photos don't do it justice!)

Tips for Wearing a Red Lip:

~Go neutral on the eyes if you want the lip to be the statement.
~Rock a heavy cat eye for a cool Rockabilly look
~Invest in a lip-liner. This can be skipped if you're just going for a red gloss or balm.
~If you have thin lips, use a lighter or more pink-ish red shade.
~Been thinking about a dark hair color change recently? Go for it, red looks great with dark hair.
~Be confident, red is not for the meek!



14 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I am also trying to find a red that suits me, I usually just fall back on the eyes for makeup but this inspires me to keep trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think bright red lipstick is difficult for anybody to get away with. It has a very startling unnatural look to it in the brighter shades. I remember a girl who had great skin, wore bright red lipstick to our afternoon film class and I couldn't help but stare at her. It was just really distracting, especially for a day look. I prefer a deeper burgundy or wine red with a pink base in matte, it just looks a little more subtle for some reason. Unfortunately most cosmetic counters are flooded with orange-red so it's difficult to find the right shade for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it also really depends on one's overall presentation too, if bright red is going to become part of the ensemble or have a solo moment, you know?

      Delete
  3. I love red lipstick, although I don't wear it as often as I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lip stain and it works pretty well if I 'colour in' my whole lip with lip liner first, so maybe that's worth a try seeing as you already have it?

    I love this red on you actually =] I have only recently discovered lip colour at all. I can't wear lipbalm, gloss or lipstick because my skin goes nuts, hence the lipstain and the gratuitous amounts of lip liner. I still wouldn't do it every day but it does mean I can now wear it at the weekend without condemning myself to a bad skin week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shade looks perfect for someone with auburn hair and fair skin. It's crazy how tricky red it. Not only do hair color and eye color affect which type of red you can wear, it also depends on whether you are fair-skinned or dark-skinned AND what shade your skin is (whether you are more olive, pink, etc). I need a red with a bit of pink/purple in it, since I have pinkish skin. Usually reds seem to have too much orange in them for me, whereas that works just perfectly on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't wear makeup very often, and like you I am red headed and pale. I do like red lipstick though, and I found that I don't suit blue-y reds / darker crimsons at all (make me looked pinched mouth / corpse me out), so the more gothic shades are out. I love orange-y reds that pop, which is unusual for me, as I'm usually quite muted.

    I love the colour you show cased in your final pictures, it's just the sort I would go for, lovely shade :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love when that you found the perfect red in the Dollar Tree. I've been on a quest myself but have to admit that I don't try out a variety of products. I usually look and then decide that it isn't the right time to experiment and leave without purchasing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think any natural hair color looks good with red lipstick! Pink, now that's the one I think redheads need to be careful with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, those Barbie pink shades look just awful on me.

      Delete
  9. I've been wearing Red by MAC for years now, I don't think I could wear any other red. It has a beautiful blue undertone which is perfect for me, most of the other bright reds I found on the market had an orange undertone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The secret to lipstick is not caring what anyone thinks! :P I have worn bright red and it looks great with pale skin! Do what you want! :)

    ReplyDelete