Thursday, February 7, 2013

Somebody call the doctor!

For the past week, I've been experiencing palpitations. And it's been constant. I seem to notice it most when I'm just sitting still at my computer (like now), attempting to meditate, or laying down to go to sleep. I'm unusually aware of my heartbeat and how fast it is. And it doesn't seem to want to slow down at all - when I went in to donate plasma the other day, I started off at around 132 b/m and after five minutes of slow breathing and relaxing, only got it down to around 120 b/m. That's a lot....that average resting heartbeat for an individual is anywhere from 50-90 beats per minute. For me, the average is about 60. Maybe 80, if I've been moving around recently. But NEVER this high.

So I did some reading up on tachycardias. Supreventricular tachycardia seems to be a common occurrence in otherwise healthy young people. Symptoms include raising pulse, palpitations, sweating, anxiety, light-headedness, and sometime fainting. I'm currently experiencing a handful of these symptoms. So my plan of action, if this DOESN'T subside, is to hit up urgent care this weekend and see if someone can't figure out what's going on or help me treat it. 

I don't feel as though my life is in danger or anything, but I would like to stop feeling like someone's taken a hammer to inside of my rib-cage. I don't want it to continue or get worse either. So....yeah....




Have any of you ever experienced some strange symptoms and thought you might be dying? 
Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. On dear, yes. Almost everyday. I have low blood pressure, I often faint or get dizzy when I get up after sitting for some time. I also have very poor blood circulation, I get numb limbs all the time and when the blood comes rushing in I swear I could die, it hurts so much. On top of that there the anxiety and the panic attack. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like we experience a lot of the same stuff. This new heart thingy is just a bonus addition, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's happened to me a few years ago, exact same thing. It's probably just anxiety. It'll pass. It took me a couple months but eventually my heartbeat went back to normal; the best advice I can give you is to find out what's causing you grief and/or worries and to face it, so that you can find a way to deal with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm a full time college student so that's stress right there and not much I can do about it until I graduate. Otherwise...I'm pretty laidback and I don't think I stress too much.

      Delete