Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fashion Bands!

I got the idea for this post from Sary, over at The Walrus Room, because she was talking about bands or musicians that inspire her fashion-wise on one of our FB communities. So this got me thinking....are there any bands I like more for their style than their actual music and this is a resounding: YES.


1. 

Exist Trace is a visual kei band from Japan featuring an all girl line up. The girl on the left, Miko, is the most feminine in the group, often donning full on aristocrat or Gothic lolita outfits. The rest of the girls are strikingly androgynous and very gorgeous. 

I only like a few of their songs; the vocalist often indulges in using the same sort of vocal screeching common in the more modern visual kei bands, but she does occasionally sing like a woman. Her voice is quite deep though, so it suits the genre nicely. 

2.

Moi Dix Mois is a group I have a love/hate relationship with. They look frakking awesome, but Mana is such a douche that it makes it really hard for me to have any respect for the group as a whole. Their look is often characterized by frilly Victorian blouses, long coats, stompy boots, and huge hair. The makeup is classically Gothic and certain hair elements are easily death-rock influenced.

Musically, everything sounds exactly the same. Mana has not deviated from his melodic cathedral angle since Malice Mizer and it makes me wonder why on earth they're still popular as a musical act.....

 3.

Don't get me wrong. I love Switchblade Symphony. And their look is.....very kinderwhore, bubblegoth, and sloppy Lolita all rolled together into one hot mess. And strangely enough, I kind of like it. It's really difficult to kind decent photos of these girls, but I'm digging the whole pigtail look with dark makeup and cutesy dresses. It seems to at odds with their very dark and elegant musical style though. 

4.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is Japan's current biggest (and strangest) pop star. Her looks could rival that of Lady Gaga any day and she takes them to even greater extremes with maximum cuteness and what-the-fuckery. Even before becoming a household name in the music world, she was infamous in Harajuku for her wild style and crazy hair-dos. 

A few of her songs are super cute and the most well known is probably Pon Pon Pon, but I like Fashion Monster the best. Her look in the video is a subtle blend of Gothic Lolita, Batman, and Beetlejuice. Don't believe me? Go look for yourself!

5.

Halestorm is probably one of the last hard rock bands out there featuring a female vocalist and man, can Lizzy Hale sing. Her voice is raw and powerful and her look is that of the 90's badass rocker chick. On those days when I just want to throw something on and still look untouchable, I try to channel Lizzy's wild natural hair, sultry makeup, and casual jeans and t-shirts. A pair of biker boots pulls it together flawlessly. If you walk out the door looking like you're gonna punch someone's lights out, you've nailed it.



What artists or bands inspire you, style-wise? 

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree about your point on Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. Her song lyrics are weird (in my opinion) and her fashion is weird, but strangely cute.

    Indeed, she can match up with Lady Gaga xD

    If you're into fancy, aristocratic visual kei groups, you might like Versailles-Philharmonic-Quintet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ^^
    I tagged you in the Very Inspiring Blogger Award in my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. That's very nice and I can see you have a lot of passion for what you believe, however....that is not my path and so I'm going to have to regretfully decline.

      Delete
  4. Dir en grey used to inspire my fashion a lot... but that was many many years ago >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're a lot different now. It seems that most VK bands have toned down lately.

      Delete