Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Argh Blargh Rawr Dammit!

I hate arguing about abortion with people. Not because I can't understand their side of things (I can!) and not because they don't try to see my point of view (they do!) but because people get WAY TOO HUNG UP on biological untruths.

Like just today, in a cult I recently joined on VampireFreaks, I was told that no matter the woman or the condition of her body/pregnancy, ALL BABIES have a heartbeat at 5 weeks, tops.

Ugh....what?!!!!

I'm really wondering where this person is getting her facts, simply because they're wrong. Heck, my abortion at 5 1/2 weeks yielded an ultrasound that depicted my embryo as no larger than a dime. Truth.

But all babies have heartbeats at 5 weeks, when most haven't even developed beyond an organized clump of cells. Not Fact. 

To say that every single pregnancy is going to develop at exactly the same pace and in the same fashion is just a moronic fallacy. There's no other way around that. Every woman's body is different, depending on her DNA, her biological structure, her current health situation....so thus every pregnancy will be different, yes? It seems fairly logical to me.

See, I'm guessing this idiot arguing so vehemently is likely not even out of high school. She probably has no active experience with pregnancy and I'm sure, from the sound of it, her school's abstinence only sex-ed course is likely feeding them lies.

'Merica.

I fuckin' hate this place.


7 comments:

  1. Abstinence-only sex education is one of the stupidest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is actually true that the heartbeat starts by week 5. But by that it's not told that "life" starts by a heartbeat. I made an ultrasound at week 8 and when I carried the youngest and I saw a tiny stick man swimming around in my tummy.
    I have to say that I'm not religious or advocating anti-abortion laws, that is up to peoples desicion. I have considered abortion myself but it was solved the natural way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I heard too, the heart starts beating a 5 weeks but it can only be detected by internal US, you would have to wait another 2 weeks to hear detect it on a regular scan.

      I was 8 weeks along when I had mine, but I remember hearing a heart beat at my first appointment, at week 6.

      Delete
    2. I had mine at 5 1/2 weeks. No heartbeat.

      So it obviously can't be true for every situation. Let's keep in mind though that I was mentally ill and EXTREMELY malnourished back then.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Anyway, heartbeat or not, it's still your choice and right and no one should be allowed to take that away from you.

      Delete
  3. They would just say anything to prove their points.
    But don't blame America, in Italy we don't even have sex-ed courses and if I told you what happens in the hospitals when one asks for an abortion you would thank God you live in the U.S., believe me XD

    ReplyDelete