Saturday, August 6, 2011

Damned if you do....

....Damned if you don't.


It's come to my attention that there are a lot of mixed reviews about my going to college. On one hand, my immediate family and boyfriend are all very supportive and encouraging this dream-chasing of mine. They know that in order to get where I want to be in life (teaching English in Japan) that I need a good university degree. Not only will an English degree be useful for my stay in Japan, but it's a good degree to have in order to obtain lots of good jobs. 


Some people I know are...not so supportive. My uncle thinks its stupid and that I need to "get my shit figured out one day". Isn't that what a higher education is for? Figuring my shit out? Sorry if I don't want to work a crappy labor job for the rest of my life. I certainly don't want to be a perpetual cashier either. 


My grandpa thinks my "degree" is a waste of time. What am I gonna do with an English degree? What I guess he doesn't know is that a LOT of companies hire people with English degrees because they have good grammatical skills and a well-rounded use of language. Which is good to have, especially in positions where you're dealing with a lot of people. Even jobs in major corporations that involve little more than copy-writing require a degree in English usually. 


Honestly, I think these people are just jealous. They never got to chase their dream and pursue a secondary education so they don't want me too either. How sad. You'd think the people in my family would be happy that I was making something of my life and not just giving into the ho-hum dreariness of slave life. 


Oh well. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment